The New Year is finally here and it’s time for a fresh start. Leave your worries, stresses and fears behind of being held in a wheelchair and make this year your best ever! Begin 2015 by making changes, improvements and getting out of your comfort zone. It’s not too late, make your New Year’s resolutions today to create an exciting and amazing year for you even if you are using your wheelchair to move around! There are a variety of intriguing things that disabled people in wheelchairs may want to consider adding to their New Year’s resolution list.
- Exercise – Make exercising part of your daily routine. There are strength building exercises you can do with weights while being seated in your wheelchair that can help you build muscle. Exercise doesn’t have to be boring. If you feel like you are going to be extremely bored lifting weights try some exciting activities such as swimming and water aerobics. Water based exercises are fun and provides you with the opportunity to take a break from your chair for a little while, plus it’s a great cardio workout.
- Eat Healthy – Add protein to your diet to help fill you with more energy. It is known that those with limited mobility have less energy due to inactivity at times. This is your chance to improve your diet and energy level by adding beans, poultry and other protein sources to your diet. You are going to need extra energy for all of the amazing things you have planned to accomplish during the New Year.
- Travel – Explore your local areas and visit places you love and have a special interest in learning more about. Airlines, cruise ships and trains have special amenities to accommodate those that travel in wheelchairs. Save up for a great trip and travel the world! If you are nervous about the size of your wheelchair, check out a light weight, foldable electric wheelchair from KD Smart Chair that weighs only 50 pounds with the batteries! This compact light weight wheelchair is great for traveling and will allow you to easily move and turn in tight places. It’s durable and will easily accompany you on all of your travel adventures.
- Join a Sports Team – Don’t be shy, get out there and participate by playing your favorite sport. There are organizations and sport teams to join in communities worldwide. Some sports teams to choose from include basketball, football, hockey, softball, tennis and many more. Check out these organizations to help you decide which one you would like to join in your area:
- Wheelchair Sports Federation
- United States Power Soccer Association
- Disabled Sports USA
- IWAS International Comittee Electric Wheelchair Hockey
- Go Outdoors More Often – With all of life’s stresses it’s easy to get into a rut and just focus on the everyday things such as work, school, grocery shopping and doing chores. Remember to stop and smell the roses and get outside more often this year. Pack a picnic and go to your local park for some much needed relaxation and fresh air. Invite some friends along to add more fun to your excursion.
- Join a Local Club – Are you great at playing chess, table tennis or do you enjoy bird watching? Almost every community has a variety of clubs to choose from. Seek out the clubs available in your area by contacting the local YMCA, parks and community centers.
- Be Around Animals - This may seem like an odd suggestion as a New Year’s resolution but it is actually a great one! Animals are captivating and interesting to almost everyone. Visit your local zoo or natural habitat on a regular basis. Most zoo’s have annual passes that will allow you to visit as much as you like. Invite family and friends along to make your visits more fun.
- Volunteer – One of the best ways to give back is to volunteer. There are plenty of things you can do to help others and there are local organizations that could really benefit from your help. Volunteer at the local soup kitchen, food bank, homeless shelter, orphanage, hospital or any other place that inspires you. If you are an animal lover you may enjoy volunteering at the local animal shelter or animal hospital.
These are all great New Year's resolutions and suggestions for disabled people in wheelchairs to help them create a magnificent year in 2015. Remember, you have the power to make your life as full and positive as you would like it. Push yourself out of your comfort zone and into a new and improved lifestyle. Don’t forget to invite your friends and family along to make your year even more incredible.